Coronavirus & COVID-19 Information
Coronavirus & COVID-19 Information
COVID-19 is an illness which can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by Coronavirus. The links below provides up-to-date information about our national/local response, as well as the latest help and advice from the NHS and Public Health England.
Click here for Portishead Pharmacy Opening Times
We are aware that some Dog Bins are not being emptied, due to contractors being in self-isolation.
Where a bin is full please can you help by taking dog waste home and disposing of it in your domestic non-recyclable ‘black bin’.
This is perfectly acceptable provided the waste is bagged. Thank-you for your co-operation.
The links below provide further information on getting help if you require it.
- North Somerset 'Help Hub'
- North Somerset 'Request Help' OR call the North Somerset helpline number on 01934 427437
- If you are have a medical condition that makes you extremely vulnerable to COVID-19, please visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable to register for support.
- If your mental health difficulties are limiting your personal independence, you can request help from North Somerset Wellbeing Service via a form, which can be downloaded here.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
It is undoubtedly an overwhelming, uncertain time for all of us - and taking care of your physical and mental health is important. The links below can help you foster wellbeing from home.
- Bristol Wellbeing College - online 'Maintaining Wellness' sessions and advice https://www.second-step.co.uk/bristol-wellbeing-college/
- Mental health advice from GOV.UK https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-advice-to-support-mental-health-during-coronavirus-outbreak?utm_source=6030a355-bc47-42d5-acc5-8499a6f38573&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily
- Joe Wicks ('The Body Coach') uploads daily virtual P.E. lessons on Youtube. A great way to get you (and the kids) moving at home! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
Portishead Town Council Services and Meetings
Our halls and office are closed to the public until further notice, consistent with government guidelines to avoid public gatherings. They will continue to be available for Coronavirus related support and for use by the emergency services. To contact the office please call on 01275 847078 or email [email protected] and we will return your call or email.
All Childrens Public Play Areas and Skate Parks are also closed and must not be used until further notice as sharing equipment risks spreading the virus. Please not not take any uncesessary risks.
All council and committee public meetings are cancelled or will take place remotely until further notice. Emergency meetings may be organised to deal with urgent council business for which Notices of Meetings and Agendas will be published, although there will be no physical public participation until it is safe to do so. Please see the News & Events section for details of meetings.
What can you do?
It is wonderful to see so many local groups, neighbours and streets setting up their own support networks. This is working well and we thank the residents of Portishead for their generousity. Running an errand or a phone call to your neighbours will make a big difference if they are vunerable or self-isolating.
To obtain or give support we recommend the following:
1. Contact your street or neighbourhood support group, where available - many groups have been distributing leaflets and have WhatsApp an other means of communication.
2. Follow or post to the Portishead Coronavirus Support Network Facebook Group which is an excellent hub for inforamtion and access and providing mutual support for the residents of Portishead.
3. For information on financial implications and benefits Citizens Advice continue to provide phone and online supprt please call their helpline on 03444 111 444, which is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, or visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website or email [email protected].
4. If you are unable to access support via these channels, please contact the Portishead Town Council Office on 01275 847078 or email [email protected] and we will endearvour to put you in contact with other community groups or provide assistance.
What we are doing
As your Town Council, we think the best way to help is on a local and street by street basis, with those able to help their elderly and vulnerable neighbours mobilising to do so. We aim to support these local groups and street level initiatives by:
1) Providing a central information hub for what is happening in Portishead and how to access support, through this page and our Facebook page.
2) Providing organisational and co-ordination support to local groups. If required, we will look to set up a list of local groups and volunteers that can provide support.
3) By using the Folk Hall as a emergency drop-off and collection point for supplies, if this is needed please contact the Office to arrange. Coronavirus emergency response work will be taking priority. Please bear with us if we do not get back to you quickly on other matters.
This is a rapidly developing situation so we will endeavour to keep you updated as much as possible. Thank you for your patience.